Frequently Asked Questions - Application

The following activity types can be submitted through the AMS. More information on completing the application requirements associated with these is found on the Oil and Gas Activity Application Manual webpage.

  • Oil and gas activities: applications for wells, pipelines, facilities, roads, and geophysical exploration
  • Related activities: applications for authorizations through specified enactments under the Land Act and Water Sustainability Act
  • Provincial NEB authorizations: applications for the Provincial authorizations associated with federal pipelines, through specified enactments under the Land Act and Water Sustainability Act
  • Other submission types: Historical data submissions for pipelines and facilities can be submitted via the AMS, as well as ALR assessments on private land.

Applications made to the Commission via AMS can be either for a permit under the Oil and Gas Activities Act (OGAA) or for authorizations for National Energy Board (NEB) permits. Spatial packages must be prepared separately for these applications.

A construction corridor is an additional mapped area around the proposed activities providing the permit holder with the flexibility to adjust the footprint of permitted activities (with some limitations) after the permit is issued. Providing all activities stay within the construction corridor, applicants have the ability to move permitted related activities or the footprint of oil and gas activities, provided the activities themselves (pipe or road centerline, well surface location) have not been relocated, without having to submit an amendment; and record the actual impact and location on the post construction plan. The width of the construction corridor is left to the discretion of the applicant. More information can be found in the spatial submission standards manual on how to create construction corridors in the spatial data shapefile.

The Application Analysis Tool enables applicants to spatially plan their application using the publically available data that Commission staff use to make decisions. Applicants can upload spatial data and move around their activity to minimize conflicts and create a ‘to-do’ list for preparing the application. More information on the AAT is found in the Oil and Gas Activities Application Manual and on the AMS webpage.

Yes, applications can be drafted over time.  However, an application is populated with the upload of a spatial data shapefile and those data fields that are not spatial derived require the user to data enter information.  If different activities are added to the application while being drafted; new spatial data will be required to be uploaded and new activity identifiers will be given to each activity with each upload.  Users must be aware that the upload of new spatial data will overwrite the previous drafted application.

No, the AMS includes spatially derived fields. Therefore, any place in the application where information requirements come from government systems (such as the forest district, land type, etc.), the system will automatically populate this information on behalf of the applicant.

No. An application submitted via AMS can be composed of a single activity or multiple activities. It is at the discretion of the applicant to determine how many activities they want to include in the application.

No. There are some optional data requirements included in AMS. These are labelled as optional. All other fields are mandatory

This situation can occur when the Commission makes changes to the system(s) as part of ongoing enhancements. Once an application is set to in-revision, it is treated as a new application when submitted.  Any changes made to the system(s) may include new requirements for spatial data, mandatory information etc. which is compulsory to be provided. Enhancements made to the system(s) improve data accuracy and facilitate improved data management and are crucial for the Commission’s operations.

Yes. When you are in an application, there is a print option in the top left menu of the AMS.

This form is required as per INDB 2019-19. The Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development (FLNRORD) manages s.16 and s.17 Land Act dispositions and will determine if the proposed oil and gas activity will require an amendment to the s.16 or s.17 Land Act disposition or is compatible use.

No. The form is needed only for proposed activities with new land area that falls within s.16 or s.17 Land Act dispositions.  As per INDB 2019-19, this application form is not required for applications   under the Water Sustainability Act or applications that do not require additional land.

No. The BC OGC will proceed with all necessary reviews and determinations.  However, prior to commencement of operations, the permit holder must have a decision from FLNRORD.